Have you been thinking about starting your own beauty, lifestyle or mom blog? Well, you’ve come to the right place mama! I’ve been blogging for over a year now and I absolutely love it! It has given me a purpose beyond just being a wife and mom. I’m able to truly help people with my words. So in this post, I will show you step by step how to start a blog on Bluehost.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you use them at no additional cost to you. Here is my full disclosure statement.
Why you should start a blog
Well, blogging is just one of the many ways that you can make a bit of extra money for your family. Being a stay at home mom is rewarding yet very isolating. You don’t get to have that adult interaction that you once did at your old job. Not only can you make money blogging but you can connect with other bloggers around the world. Personally, I’ve been called to do this. I have all this knowledge to share with peeps and it’s a pity to waste it just because I’m a stay at home mom again.
Hosted vs. Self-Hosted
Many peeps start their blogs using free sites like Blogger, Wix, or WordPress.com. Don’t do it, mama! Those are hosted sites meaning you don’t own your content and they can shut down your blog for violating their terms and conditions. It’s also extremely difficult to make money using a hosted platform. So if you want to be able to make real money…like having a closet full of Jessica Simpson shoes kind of money then just buy your own self-hosted account. By doing this you will be able to customize your blog, use affiliate links, and advertisements without any issues.
Self-hosted with Bluehost
There are a ton of different hosting companies out there. I use and personally recommend two: Bluehost and Siteground. However, for beginners, Bluehost is my number one pick! It’s the hosting that I started my blogging journey with and I’ve never had any issues. Here are some other reasons you should start a blog on Bluehost:
- It’s the #1 recommendation of millionaire bloggers such as Michelle Schroeder-Gardner, Pat Flynn, and Melyssa Griffin
- The #1 recommended web hosting company by WordPress.org
- You get a free domain name and SSL certification with your hosting account.
- They have a 1-Click WordPress installation
- Bluehost is super affordable and you can start today for as low as $2.95 a month.
- You will have your very own self-hosted blog that you can easily monetize and design to attract your dream customers and big brands.
- Bluehost offers 24/7 support and a 30-day money back guarantee if you are not happy with their software.
If you are ready to start your lifestyle blog with Bluehost then continue on reading mama! However, if you are interested in learning more about Siteground then check out this post. (To be fully transparent…I’m currently using Siteground to host all of my blogs)
Choosing your domain name
Your domain name is like the address of your new house on the internet. But this address can be anything that you can think of! You can brand yourself and use your own name. Some examples are:
Or you can use a combination of different words and phrases that have to do with whatever niche that you are in. Some examples are:
Struggling to come up with something? Check out these websites for some inspirations. Just type in a few keywords and they’ll give you plenty of ideas.
Once you selected a domain name just enter it into the box below to make sure it’s available!
Steps on How to Start a Lifestyle Blog with Bluehost
Step 1: Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” Button
Step 2: Now it’s time to buy hosting for your new blog.
But first, let’s go over the different pricing that Bluehost has to offer. As you can see below Bluehost offers three plans: Basic, Plus, and Prime.
As a beginner blogger, all you need is the basic plan. Once you’re traffic increases or if you decide to create additional blogs then you can upgrade to one of the other plans.
Step 3: Now you need to enter the domain name that you chose here and select next.
Step 4: Enter all of your personal information, select your package, and enter payment information.
Getting the best price
As moms and budding business owners, we are always trying to get the most bang for our buck. Well with Bluehost you will get the cheapest & best pricing by signing up for the 36-month basic plan.
Also, uncheck the package extras. You don’t need those right now but in the future, you can purchase them through your Bluehost dashboard.
Tip: If money is a bit of an issue for you then I suggest you start with the 12-month plan. You will still receive the free domain name and SSL certification all for under $60.
Step 5: Select submit and once your order has been processed you will be asked to enter a password to finish the account set-up process.
Congratulations you’ve just purchased your self-hosted account with Bluehost!
Install WordPress on Bluehost
Now the final step…installing WordPress.org to Bluehost. If you haven’t realized it yet…Bluehost makes everything super simple and this is no exception. Just follow the steps below to get everything set-up
- After you set up your password you can log into Bluehost.
- In your dashboard under the hosting tab, you want to select cPanel
- Scroll down to the website area and you will see the Install WordPress icon.
- Select the icon and you will be asked to fill out your WordPress account information. Pick a username other than the generic admin
- They may prompt you to pick a theme. Don’t worry so much about this right now you can choose one later.
- Once WordPress is installed you’ll be taken to your blog’s sign-up page.
- Then enter the username and password from step 4 and you’re all done!
You did it!
Yeah, mama! You’ve just created a WordPress blog on Bluehost. Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back! Were you able to create your blog? Did you run into any problems? Let me know in the comments below!